Former US President Donald Trump declared on Wednesday July 7 that he would be filing lawsuits against the biggest names in tech and social media, naming Google’s YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and their CEOs in several sweeping class action lawsuits against the firms.
Mr Trump received a two year ban from Facebook following the Capitol Riot which took place on January 6 2021.
He was banned from Facebook on January 7, with Facebook confirming in April that the ban would remain in place for two years until January 7 2023.
In the wake of the Capitol Riot, Twitter likewise imposed a full ban on the former US president’s account.
The site said that Mr Trump’s tweets on January 8 this year went against their ‘Glorification of Violence’ content policy, following previous attempts of the platform to label the former President’s tweets declaring he had won the US Presidential Election 2020 and alleging voter fraud with ‘Stop the Steal’ as disinformation and misleading in November last year.
Trump Twitter ban: US president’s tweets deleted and account suspended indefinit…
“We are going to hold Big Tech very accountable,” said Mr Trump in his New Jersey press conference on Wednesday.
Google CEO Sundar Pichai, Facebook and Twitter being sued by former US President Donald Trump – why is Trump suing Big Tech? (Photo: Olivier Douliery/AFP via Getty Images)
The move has been panned as…